Saturday, 15 October 2016

Cultural Responsive Pedagogy

Cultural Responsive Pedagogy

Interesting survey!? Personally I would have liked a different format, one where I am not self assessing my cultural intelligence, instead respond to a described scenario, which in return determines my cultural responsiveness. Anyway Culture is an interesting thing. Having a slightly different culture to the dominating pakeha, of english decent population, I found myself quite often challenged by the question how to explain german culture. I think this is exactly what is meant by the invisible, intangible elements of cultural identity. It is hard to explain but nevertheless I know and feel the differences that are there in the day to day interactions.
As an immigrant of choice, I have the mindset that it is my duty to make sure I understand and learn the ways of the land, to fit in as well as to demonstrate my willingness to contribute to society. I also believe that it is very unfortunate for my culture that we have completely lost the connection to the myths, legends and traditions of our ancestors. Furthermore my people are detached from their spirit and the land, something that many indigenous people still poses, a connection to earth. All this taken into account makes me cultural responsive and aware.
Thinking critically, and have been teaching Maori children for 6 years in Auckland, I have to point out that I haven't seen any evidence of Maori learners are any different in terms of what they bring to the classroom in regards to their cultural knowledge or experiences. It is sad that with ongoing urbanisation and separation of the whanau bonds, cultural traditions, knowledge and experience is being lost but this is happening all around the globe to many indigenous people from the Indians of the Amazon rainforest to the Inuit of the Artic Circle.
I have seen, how my young Maori colleague at Pomaria School introduced his students in his Te Reo immersion class to old Maori treats like catching Tuna and smoking it. For most of his students that was the first time they learnt about it. We can not just assume out of the fact that the enrolment form identifies a student as Maori that they bring all the things to the classroom we associate with this culture. It is much more complex than this. For example I have a student in my class this year of Maori descent, who is interested to go to an extension class to learn Te Reo, were the parents intervened and stopped the student from attending. 
In my own practice I'm aware of the differences, I have travelled to the Pacific Islands, didn't stay in a resort and tried to mix and mingle with the real people where possible. I have even considered to teach in Samoa for a while. Being interested in, aware of and acknowledging the differences as something positive is helping me to be cultural responsive.
Having said all that I think it is a complete disaster that the same is happening in New Zealand what has happened in the U.S.A. or Australia where indigenous people account for huge portion of the prison population. I completely agree with Prof. Bishop and other researchers that educational success is key to break with this vicious circle.
My current school is addressing this with a school charter that highlights cultural diversity by valuing relationships between whanau and school and reflecting the cultures and values of the community. Furthermore the Treaty of Waitangi is one of the guiding principles of the school charter. Underlining these are the guiding values which include relationships, based on mutual respect and trust, and diversity, of culture, interests and ability. To further strengthen Maori achieving as Maori, the strategic plan involves the creation of Maori parents focus group to ensure they have a voice is school decision making. Taking into account that only 8% of the school's pupils are of Maori descent, Arahoe school demonstrates a strong commitment to value and strengthen the bicultural identity of New Zealand.
Having a strong Maori teacher in our syndicate ensures we're consistently challenged to reflect on how we can integrate a Te Reo and a Maori perspective to our planning, teaching and pedagogy. we have identified huge gaps and determined and motivated to engage in professional development.

Bishop. R., Berryman, M., Cavanagh, T. & Teddy, L. (2009).Te Kotahitanga: Addressing educational disparities facing Māori students in New Zealand. Teaching and Teacher Education, 25(5),734–742.
Cowie, B., Otrel-Cass, K., Glynn, T., & Kara, H., et al.(2011).Culturally responsive pedagogy and assessment in primary science classrooms: Whakamana tamariki. Wellington: Teaching Learning Research Initiative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGTVjJuRaZ8

No comments:

Post a Comment